In my attempt to be a model Mother on the nursery run this morning I attempt to engage The Girl in some educational chat.
“What letters can you see?”
“N mummy…” she has correctly identified the letter and it’s not one in her name so I’m actually rather impressed at this point.
“….N is for nose”
“Yes, that’s right- great stuff!”
“N is for knees mummy”
“Erm, no, not knees actually”
“Yes mummy, nnnnnnnn- knees”
“Yes it sounds like a ‘N’ but it’s not”
“Why not mummy?”
……And I’m done.
The first question from my 3.5 year old and I’m way out of my depth. Tomorrow we will not attempt such a foray in to the world of education. Tomorrow we will go back to pulling funny faces at each other in the rear view mirror and leave the serious stuff to the experts. I was beaten, beaten by a 3 yr olds question and a silent K.
Let’s hope I remember to complete the school application, or my kids are in a whole world of trouble….
I am Helen, although more commonly known as “Mum" or "Doc".
I have a couple of other roles along side of this.
- I’m a a wife, to another junior doctor (yawn) - who specialises in willies and wee.
- A daughter to a Yorkshire man and a Scottish lady, an undeniably great combo resulting an ability to be super frugal drunk.
- A sister to two older brothers therefore the victim of years of 'character building' experiences.
- A northerner who travelled down to the midlands for uni and never quite made it back. Yet.
- A friend, to some, for over 25 years, and still can’t shake them off; at this stage they know too much.
- An aunty to two boisterous nephews residing stateside, and a local niece.
- A daughter- and sister-in-law; having lacked sisters growing up I'm now lucky enough to have acquired 4.
- A neighbour to The Deputy, The General and their wives, amongst other retirees.
- A slimmer and a swimmer, albeit neither particularly successfully just now.
- A gardener, chef, cleaner, washing machine operator, carrier bag collector, and now after much persuasion (borderline bullying) and a 30 quid investment, a keen blogger!
View all posts by motherinthehouse
One thought on “N is for Nose….”
What a cute story!