Getting changed today while The Girl is in my company.
“Mummy, why are your nipples all the way down there?”
Trying very hard to promote body confidence in my daughter and normalise breastfeeding, whilst secretly weeping and mourning my once (semi) pert knockers, I reply:
“Because they are amazing and made milk which you and your brother both lived off for 6 whole months before you could eat. Ace isn’t it?”
There follows a loaded silence whilst I await my next question, and the opportunity to further demonstate my respect for the human body …
“Mummy, you should put your bra on.”
“Right. Thanks. Will do”
Or perhaps I won’t bother and will just tuck them in to my jeans…
I am Helen, although more commonly known as “Mum" or "Doc".
I have a couple of other roles along side of this.
- I’m a a wife, to another junior doctor (yawn) - who specialises in willies and wee.
- A daughter to a Yorkshire man and a Scottish lady, an undeniably great combo resulting an ability to be super frugal drunk.
- A sister to two older brothers therefore the victim of years of 'character building' experiences.
- A northerner who travelled down to the midlands for uni and never quite made it back. Yet.
- A friend, to some, for over 25 years, and still can’t shake them off; at this stage they know too much.
- An aunty to two boisterous nephews residing stateside, and a local niece.
- A daughter- and sister-in-law; having lacked sisters growing up I'm now lucky enough to have acquired 4.
- A neighbour to The Deputy, The General and their wives, amongst other retirees.
- A slimmer and a swimmer, albeit neither particularly successfully just now.
- A gardener, chef, cleaner, washing machine operator, carrier bag collector, and now after much persuasion (borderline bullying) and a 30 quid investment, a keen blogger!
View all posts by motherinthehouse